Science at Saint John Southworth RC Primary School
At SJS Science is ... enquire, explore and experiment.
The Intent, Implementation and Impact of our Curriculum
Our Science Lead is Dee Whittaker
We have achieved the Primary Science Quality Mark.
- To develop pupils’ interest and enjoyment of science. By building on children’s curiosity, the science curriculum will help to instil a positive attitude towards science in pupils.
- To deliver all the requirements of the national curriculum in relation to science and covering major scientific concepts.
- To ensure all science lesson are purposeful, accurate and imaginative.
- To ensure pupils have sufficient knowledge to understand both the uses and implications of science, today and in the future. This will also give pupils an appreciation of the changing nature of scientific knowledge.
- To develop pupils’ ability to pose questions, investigate these using correct techniques, accurately record their findings using appropriate scientific language and analyse their results.
- To help pupils develop the skills of prediction, hypothesising, experimentation, investigation, observation, measurement, interpretation and communication.
- To make pupils aware of and alert to links between science and other school subjects, as well as their lives more generally.
Our Vision for Science was developed in consultation with staff and children. We shared our ideas of what we felt good teaching and learning in science looked like and together created our Vision. Teachers use the Vision to guide planning whilst staff and children use it to review learning. It aims to ensure that everyone at our school receives the very best current science practice and maximises opportunities for all to increase their Science Capital.
Through our Science Teaching and Learning, pupils should be able to recall knowledge, use scientific vocabulary and develop scientific skills. We hope to nurture the scientists of the future.
Progression of skills and knowledge are ensured through use of the PLAN planning and assessment materials, ASE, EXPLORIFY and REACH OUT CPD.
SJS SCIENCE WEEK 2022
We had a highly engaging and awe inspiring Science week this year. Staff worked hard to provide all children with Science experiences that lived up to our whole school vision! Our Science Ambassadors supported each class in the delivery of Science and the development of knowledge and skills across the school. Adrian Bowden's Travelling Science Shows on Electricity (KS2) and Materials (EYFS/KS1) were a treat for all and contained some truly WOW moments!
Our Annual Science Fair proved to be a spectacular way to end SJS Science Week 2022. With over 100 entries our judges, SJS Science Ambassadors and Fisher More High School Staff & Pupils, had a very difficult job. Well done to all those who entered, your scientific knowledge and enthusiasm was praised by all who attended.